I purchased a second hand MacBook for a throw away price of around 75 USD which is pretty old (More than 12 years may be). However it is in good working condition.
Issue I found was :
- websites with ssl wont support because of outdated browser.
- YouTube wont open
- I cannot use for browsing as no latest browsers supported.
What i did ?
Step 1 : Downloaded latest version of Elementary OS from this https://elementary.io/
Step 2 : Download Bootable USB creator from this site : https://www.balena.io/etcher/
Step 3: Insert one USB drive with mnm 2 GB space and run etcher
Step 4: Shutdown your macbook
Step 5: Insert USB to Macbook
Step 6: Press and Hold Option button in MacBook and power on
Step 7: Select EFI boot option
Step 8: Click Install Elementary OS
Step 9 : Make sure to click additional drivers
After installation I found that my built-in web cam is not working.
So i have done following
- Downloaded the AppleUSBVideoSupport file – From Here then extract it
- Open terminal and run sudo apt-get update
- sudo apt get –fix-broken install
- sudo apt-get install isight-firmware-tools
- While installation it will ask for the path for AppleUSBVideoSupport , which you downloaded in first step
- Restart your macbook.
- Voila Built in camera started working.
Now I am able to browse the internet, attend zoom also microsoft teams.
Now I have given second life to this macbook and my kid can use for another year 🙂